CHOOSING THE RIGHT-FIT ROLLING PAPERS FOR YOU.March 21, 2019
For many, their rolling papers of choice are discovered throughout time via the culmination of countless smoking experiments and experiences.
The size, texture and flavour of the papers you choose presents countless options, especially since legalization in Canada has opened the door for new products everywhere you look. Gone are the days when the options available were simply blue or white Zig Zags at your local gas station; today we can roll whenever we want any way we want, with a plethora of paper options to choose from.
Are you new to rolling cannabis? Do you know what to look for when choosing your papers?
We have you covered. Start by considering the following:
Material of Choice: Rolling papers are typically made from lightweight non-wood plant fibers or “rag fibers”. These fibers can come from a variety of sources, including: hemp, rice, straw, flax, esparto or sisal.
Bleached or Unbleached: In addition to changing their aesthetics, papers can be bleached to control the colour of the ash and the speed of the burn. But this process can add unwanted and/or harmful chemical additives that may affect your joint’s flavour.
On the other hand, unbleached papers are thinner, often made with rice paper and have a textured design that slows the burn of your joint, naturally.
Size: How big a joint are you looking to roll? If joints are your preferred personal means of regular consumption, perhaps a smaller sized paper will be a better fit for daily use. Larger-sized papers can still be good to have on-hand when smoking with friends.
Standard Rolling papers come in five sizes: Single-wide, 1 ¼”, 1 ½-, Double wide and King. Here’s a summary of each:
- Single Wide: These can be a little more difficult to roll with at first due to their small size, but for the same reason, they are ideal for personal (pinner) joints.
- 1 ¼: At 25% larger than a single wide the 1 ¼ papers are the most popular size of rolling papers. This is partially because once assembled they are similar in size to a cigarette thus making them a popular choice for both tobacco and cannabis use (or cannabis users trying to blend in as tobacco users). These papers are ideal for sessions involving 1- 2 people.
- 1 ½: This size is just right for a small session of 3-4 people. Once rolled it’s longer than a cigarette which means you’ll get to hit the rotation a few more times.
- Double Wide: The substantial width of the double wide allows users to roll the largest diameter cone – which can serve a group of 4-5. However, this size remains one of the least popular due to its inefficient usable area. The higher the ratio of paper to cannabis, the harsher the toke.
- King Size: These are the longest standard papers on the market but narrower than the double wide. King Size is ideal for rolling cone and larger sessions of 5+ people.
- Flavoured: From Root Beer to Bubble gum, papers come in about every flavour you crave, but be careful. Flavoured papers often contain additional chemicals you might not want to inhale,or have interfering with whichever terpenes you want to enjoy from your chosen strain. On the other hand, should you choose a flavoured paper that complements the aromatics of your strain, you may improve the experience in a way that would be missed using ordinary papers. Who are we to judge?
The fact is that just like everything else to do with cannabis, your best bet is to experiment within your comfort zone until you find the right-fit for you. If you need a little more help deciding, be sure to visit one of our NewLeaf Cannabis locations and one of our Cannabis Advisors will be happy to get you rolling.
*If you are concerned about the health implications of smoking cannabis, we recommend exploring alternative consumption methods such as cannabis oil or vaping.
Enjoy Respectfully, Consume Responsibly.